How Buzzvillians Work
Buzzvil helps all members to be good Buzzvillians. For this, we have come up with desired traits for employees and a culture book, and we enjoy experimenting with various systems to attract participation.
As they say ‘culture is not inscribed in stone', organizational cultures and the way we work must constantly evolve. In November 2020, Buzzvil held a core values workshop to reflect on the current status of the company and discuss to make Buzzvil better. Let's take a look at how Buzzvillians have changed the way we work for the upcoming year of 2021.
[TEAM FIRST] We always put the team first. Do what is better for Buzzvil.
- Buzzvil has a culture of self-directed thinking and action. The important thing here is to go beyond your own perspective and try to look from the perspective of the team and company.
- We want to work with people who know the value of 'dedication' and do what is essential to the team and company. This is because when people with such a mentality gather, difficulties that arise during the journey of startups can be overcome. No matter how much expertise and competence a person has, it is not possible to become a great Buzzvillian, without having a team-centered mind and holistic view.
[BE ACCOUNTABLE] We are explicit about goals, roles, and deadlines
- Buzzvil provides rewarded ads to over 14 million users in 6 countries around the world, including South Korea. Responsible business handling has become more important than anything else.
- If the 'goals, person in charge, and deadline' are unclear or not followed, not only would tension and conflicts arise internally, it is not possible to earn the trust of customers. Defining and keeping 'why, who, and until when' is the basis of work and an essential process to grow into an expert.
[RESPONSIBLE AUTONOMY] We work in an autonomous culture with commitment and responsibility.
- Our growth is centered on passionate Buzzvillians who dream of things that cannot be achieved. Based on this philosophy, the current autonomous policies, rules, and culture were created.
- The type of freedom that Buzzvil aims for is not 'doing whatever you want to do.' This is because it is nothing more than freedom and indulgence without responsibility. What we are pursuing is to proactively set the goals of the team and individuals in line with the company's goals, think about what to do, and being responsible to the end. Buzzvillians enjoy the freedom and bear its weight at the same time.
[CROSS-TEAM COMMUNICATION] We communicate and collaborate across teams to solve our customers’ problems.
- Buzzvil's work is discussed on a team basis, but there is no boundary when it comes to thinking and discussing to solve customer concerns. Providing the right value to customers and bringing out the highest level of satisfaction is the ultimate goal that cannot be compromised with anything.
- Buzzvillians are free to communicate with all members and must respond to requests with responsibility. An important trait of a Buzzvillian is to have a team player's attitude to actively express opinions and suggest improvements when collaborating with other teams.
[CANDID FEEDBACK] We give helpful and candid feedback. Confrontation is often necessary for growth.
- If someone goes off track and isn't provided the right feedback, the organization cannot grow. Strong teams need direct and helpful feedback, and those teams always produce excellent results. There are no exceptions.
- Through 1:1 meeting, Buzzvillians pay attention to each other and form intimate relationships. At the same time, objections are to be voiced directly and feedback is to be given courageously with respect. We believe no one is perfect and we grow together through feedback.
[NUMBERS NEVER LIE] We make decisions based on data and facts.
- Could there be a perfectly correct and rational decision? Obviously, it is not easy. However, it is possible to try your best. That is the type of decision-making we aim for.
- Buzzvillians make decisions based on data, not just guesses or hypotheses. And we continue to think about the goals of what we do ourselves and what indicators we can check. Buzzvil regularly conducts data training and supports members to grow as data experts.
[DEBATE. DECIDE. DRIVE] We discuss hard and drive harder once a decision is made.
- At Buzzvil, everybody should be able to speak up. Different perspectives need to be discussed intensely and the idea itself should be recognized, not because it's one's specialty or because someone has been around for longer.
- However, the final decision is up to the decision-maker, as it presupposes responsibility. Someone may not agree 100%. Nevertheless, Buzzvillians believes and follows decisions with the humility that they may be wrong. Just as important as making the right choice is contemplation and making an effort to make the choice right, which is only possible when everyone comes together.
[HIGHER GOALS, HIGHER GROWTH] We set challenging goals. Growth comes from achievement.
- The spirit of a challenge has made what Buzzvil is now. We have always challenged the constant prejudice that the advertising/marketing sector had on reward systems. The global market is still tough, but Buzzvil will continue to knock on its door.
- Reflecting on this philosophy, Buzzvil has been running Objectives & Key Results (OKR) from an early stage. When a challenging goal is set at the enterprise level is set, each team's goal is self-planned and proactively executed. Without bold challenges, there is no achievement or growth.
[THINK OUT OF THE BOX] There is always room for improvement.
- Buzzvil aims to automate tasks to increase efficiency and productivity. Repetitive tasks from the early stages of the business were dramatically reduced through ad allocation automation, and more effective responses were made outside of working hours.
- No matter what job is being done, Buzzvillians constantly look back to see if what they are doing is creating value. If there a problem is detected and no thought is given on how to solve it, it will snowball and its value will gradually diminish.
[LEARN FROM RETROSPECTIVE] We rigorously review and evaluate our mistakes and put lessons into practice.
- We believe in the value of retrospection. When an error or mistake occurs, we take a thorough review to prevent a recurrence. We also have quarterly reviews of OKR and share improvements and lessons that were learned.
- Buzzvillians makes retrospect a daily habit, and aim to be 'dynamic' by constantly reflecting and making improvements, instead of staying in a 'static state' of zero defects. We believe that as long as this doesn't cease, individual and organizational growth will naturally follow.
Words from the Buzzvil HR Manager
In the 2nd year of its founding, Buzzvil received an investment of 3 billion won from SoftBank Ventures Asia and continued to grow in Korea and Japan, making strides towards realizing its “Unicorn Dream”. In order to accelerate the growth, we announced our forays into the global stage, and half of our members flew to the US. However, after four months, we experienced failure and returned home. There was certainly a lack of understanding of the market and a lack of strategy, but the decisive factor was teamwork. This was because, although the best experts in each field were gathered, we failed to build a strong team that was in sync with Buzzvil's vision and core values.
The first question the CEO asked after returning to Korea was "What does it mean to be a Buzzvillian?" After all, good products and services are made by people, so we thought deeply about who to work with and how to work in the future. The result was the creation of the Culture Book, and the values and the traits that Buzzvillians should pursue are defined there. Since then, the company has considered suitability rather than urgency when hiring and has not compromised this. In order to emphasize core values and traits to existing Buzzvillians, we reflected it in the performance review and awarded the Buzzvillian Award at the end of the year. Even the interior design of the office is the result of actively reflecting on ideas so that the Buzzvillian mentality can be felt everywhere. The corporate culture created this becomes more pronounced in times of crisis than in normal times. Even in the critical crisis caused by Google's policy change in 2018, Buzzvil's unique culture worked like a solid rock that could not be shaken even in the difficult journey of changing from a lock screen to a reward-based ad platform in 2019.
As a result, Buzzvil was selected as a company with a good organizational culture in 2017, a good SME to work in 2018-2019, and was also selected as a youth-friendly small and medium-sized enterprise by the Ministry of Employment and Labor in 2020. With a common goal, both Buzzvil and Buzzvillians are moving forward boldly step by step. If you think that you would be a good fit with Buzzvil's philosophy and the way Buzzvillians work, apply for the positions we are hiring!